Friday, November 9, 2012

Nu-metal appreciation week 1 - Deftones and Reveille

I don't know if that's a national thing or not...just wanted to post some of this stuff. I'm always surprised by the number of people who don't know that there are legit nu-metal bands. Okay, okay, Deftones aren't REALLY nu-metal, and they transcended genres a long while back anyhow, but I really wanted to post their new album here.

But...it's not out yet! How about that? Let's see how long this shit lasts before I get an e-mail asking me to take it down...Whatever, I love the Deftones...one of my all-time favorite bands, and you'd be a stupid liar if you said I wasn't going to buy this shit the day it comes out.

So, how does it sound? Awesome. My only complaint is that new Deftones stuff suffers from some serious over-producing, but you can't really damage songs this good. This'un's definitely more mellow than any other release....I think it tops 'Diamond Eyes' which was really great, too. Kind of like what 'Saturday Night Wrist' could've been if it was better, I guess.

Deftones - 'Koi No Yokan'
Tracklist:

1. Swerve City
2. Romantic Dreams
3. Leathers
4. Poltergeist
5. Entombed
6. Graphic Nature
7. Tempest
8. Gauze
9. Rosemary
10. Goon Squad
11. What Happened to You?

DLZZ

Also, I'm posting the debut album by Reveille. Remember these fellas? They always reminded me of a really stripped-down version of Rage Against the Machine with Steve Albini (?) rapping. Really minimal production and a harsh noise-rock kinda sound. I wish radio shit still sounded this raw...

Reveille - 'Laced'
Tracklist:

1. Butterfly
2. Perfect World
3. Permanent (Take a Look Around)
4. Phoenix
5. Untied
6. Rise and Blind
7. Judas
8. Flesh and Blood
9. Feel
10. Aftertaste
11. Splitt (Comin' Out Swingin')
12. Dark Horizons

DEE ELL

...I'll continue to post this stuff all week assuming it looks like people are reading it. Even if you're totally against this shit, everyone needs to reminisce sometime...

No comments: